Call for Papers
23rd Annual S. Randolph Edmonds Young Scholars Competition
The Black Theatre Network is currently seeking papers from students at the Undergraduate and Graduate level that are concerned with an aspect of Black Theatre. Entrants do not need to be members of the Black Theatre Network to submit.
In recognition of Black Theatre scholar and educator, S. Randolph Edmonds, The Black Theatre Network instituted the S. Randolph Edmonds Young Scholars Competition in 1988. This competition seeks to encourage research and scholarship in Black Theatre. The competition supports the overall mission of BTN, to expose the beauty and complexity of the inherited theatre work of our African American ancestors, as well as, preserve and develop Black Theatre’s unique art form.
- Papers must be typed, double-spaced, and in MLA format with a bibliography page. If applicable, also include endnotes that demonstrate awareness of formal methods of documentation.
- Papers should be between 10 - 20 pages in length. This does NOT include endnotes and bibliography pages (If a submission longer than 10 pages is selected as a winning entry, the author will need to condense the paper to a focused 10 pages for presentation purposes).
- Please include 1) cover letter stating the entrant’s name, university affiliation, class rank, current and permanent address (if not the same), telephone number, email address and a one paragraph biography, 2) a 250-word abstract, and 3) a headshot . The biography and headshot will be used to feature the winners on the BTN webpage.
- There may only be ONE submission per student. Students should submit their own work; a professor cannot submit on the student’s behalf.
- Students cannot send for the conference planner’s consideration a proposal that represents the same paper that they have entered (or will enter) into this contest.
- Winners will be announced by May 2, 2011 and will be invited to deliver their papers at the 2011 Black Theatre Network Conference in North Carolina to be held July 30-August 1.
- A first-place prize of $250.00 and second-place prize of $100.00 will be awarded in both Divisions I (Undergraduate) and II (Graduate) PLUS one night stay in the conference hotel for your attendance at the Young Scholars awards ceremony;
- Winners will attend a special reception in their honor at the conference;
- Winning papers will be published in the conference edition of BTNews; and
- Winners will receive a free one-year membership in the Black Theatre Network.
Papers must be received no later than April 15, 2011 & should be sent via e-mail to: avgreen at wm.edu or to the address below. Please feel free to contact me by phone or email with questions or for more information.
Artisia V. Green-Dallas
Young Scholars Competition Coordinator
Assistant Professor of Theatre
Department of Theatre, Speech and Dance
The College of William and Mary
P.O. Box 8795
Williamsburg, VA 23187
Office: (757) 221-2616
Papers will be returned only if accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope.