United States government stopped emergency enhanced airport screening measures against Nigerians. It explained that the measure lacked sustainability and was creating image problems for it globally.
The much criticised measure, was put in place after the failed terror attempt of Nigerian terrorist suspect, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab. It had focused on people travelling to the US from 14 countries including Nigeria.
Nigerian legislature had previously given the United States Government an ultimatium to lift the screening measures but had then unilaterally withdrawn the ultimatum preferring instead for quiet back-door negotiation.
US government spokesperson who is also the Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs, Phillip Crowley, told reporters in Washington DC last Friday that the particular emphasis given to 14 countries including Nigeria after December 25, 2009, was neither sustainable nor efficient. “Since that time, we’ve been engaged in intensive dialogue with those countries,” he said.
“Many of our partners around the globe have also increased their own security measures, and the overall intent of this effort is to enforce and ensure the safety and security of everyone travelling by air anywhere in the world,” he said.
Homeland Security Department, through its Transportation Security Administration, especially mentioned Nigeria as one of the countries that has since adopted US style enhanced airport security after the Abdulmutallab incident.